My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://rosskaplan.com and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"Final Cut," Realtor Version


Who Gets to Exercise "Editorial Control?"

"Final cut" in the movie business means who gets final say over the editing process.

Directors want it because it assures them creative control; the studios want it because they're bankrolling the film --- and want it to make money.

Something similar goes on in residential real estate with all the marketing materials a good Realtor generates for a listing; that starts with how the home is presented on the Multiple Lising Service ("MLS"), and can include various postcards, brochures, flyers, and ads (print and online).

While I always welcome clients' input -- indeed, it's indispensable for truly capturing a home's essence -- I'm ultimately in charge of composing, editing, etc.

There are two reasons for that.

One. Expediency.

It's not unusual for me to work on a high-end marketing piece over the course of several days.

That includes drafting the copy, selecting the photos, doing the layout, reviewing multiple proofs, etc.

For all but the basic pieces, that process is done in coordination with a professional desktop publisher (thanks, Nobu!).

"I Can't Believe That's My House!"

The way life is these days, the proofing and editing process resembles a marathon game of online ping-pong.

I'm sure there's the stray client who would like to be cc:d on the most recent proof at 2 a.m., but even if they were, it would slow down the process unacceptably.

Two. I'm good at it -- and so are the photographers, desktop publishers, etc. I work with.

In fact, my marketing prowess is why clients hire me -- that, and the fact that they have their own jobs to focus on; I'm a good negotiator; have an attorney's knack for drafting contracts (I was one); have an excellent track record, great references, etc.

My clients always know that they'll be the first to see the final product, and, on the rare occasions that there's a mistake or omission, will immediately correct it.

Usually what I hear, though, is an incredulous "I can't believe that that's my house!!"

P.S.: the photo above is the stunning(!) Family Room in my new listing at 4121 W. 28th St. in St. Louis Park's Fern Hill neighborhood.

If you want to see it in person, drop by the Broker Open today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., or, the Open House this Sunday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

No comments: