My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://rosskaplan.com and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

(The Virtue of) "Down-Selling" in an "Up-Selling" World

"Would you like fries -- and a cherry pie, and a latte, and a DVD, and a ??? -- with that?"

I think it's fair to say that we live in an "up-selling" world.

There's never just one membership category anymore; there's "standard," "deluxe," and "premiere" (that applies to everything from credit cards to health club memberships).

If you've bought anything electronic in the last decade, you doubtless know the "extended warranty" pitch by heart (don't, they're a huge profit maker).

Even non-profits and charities have embraced this marketing principle; how many times have you been told that, "for just a few dollars more per month, you can vault from a "supporting" member (or some such) to a "sustaining" member?

Opting Out

Who wouldn't go for that?

Me, for one.

I try to resist impulse buying whenever I can, and know that a lot of these come-on's pad companies' bottom lines.

So when it comes to selling real estate, I don't do that to my clients, either.

I find that there are two benefits to that:

One
. Clients like it when I save them money (who wouldn't?).

Two
. When I actually do recommend that my client spend money on something -- like swapping out the orange shag carpeting for something more neutral and updated . . . they tend to listen to me.

What's that line: 'neutral carpeting, $700; client trust . . . priceless?'

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I wish there was a "like" button for this post.