My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://rosskaplan.com and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Showing Feedback

Anticipating Feedback Before Showings

I recall a saying from my (long ago) days practicing law regarding attorneys cross-examining witnesses: never ask a question you don't already know the answer to.

The equivalent for real estate is, "a good Realtor should (almost) never be surprised by showing feedback."

What do I mean by that?

One of the key skills clients pay me for is the ability to spot a property's strengths and weaknesses, then showcase the former -- in photos, marketing literature, on MLS, etc. -- while defusing the latter.

Many times, weaknesses can be addressed cosmetically: a new coat of paint, a couple hours of handyman time, etc.

However, if a weakness can't be corrected or minimized, ultimately the home's price needs to reflect that.

What's that got to do with showing feedback?

By the time the listing agent (representing the Seller) is hearing (negative) feedback from other agents, the best chance to anticipate and correct for issues is already gone.

It's still possible to make mid-course corrections, but the chance for a quick sale, while the listing is still hot, are greatly reduced.

P.S.: as my clients know, I'm fond of saying that "the only feedback I really care about is a full-price offer from a well-qualified Buyer."

No comments: