My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://rosskaplan.com and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

$6,000 Condo Assessment

Are Twin Cities Condo's Suddenly Pet-Friendly?

At my broker open in Golden Valley yesterday, a "civilian" (vs. Realtor) came through who was grumbling about a $6,000 special assessment just levied on the condo association where he lives.

Apparently, even though the condo association's Bylaws expressly prohibit animals, a resident who was evicted because he had a dog successfully sued the association.

While I was duly sympathetic, I tried to put things in perspective: in an age when attorneys charge -- I don't know -- $200-plus an hour, a $6,000 hit isn't exactly the end of the world.

At which point the individual clarified: the assessment was $6,000 per condo, and the complex has more than 150!

He further spied a link between aforesaid lawsuit, and Twin Cities condo's suddenly all becoming pet-friendly.

Any Twin Cities blog readers who can corroborate any of the above?? Area Realtors?

At least up until now, my legal background tells me that condo associations can proscribe anything they want, provided it doesn't violate any laws or other public policy (i.e., no discrimination etc.)

No comments: