My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://rosskaplan.com and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Lake Calhoun Tableaus

Good & Evil at the Same Spot, Days Apart

The Northwest corner of Lake Calhoun (pictured on this blog's masthead, and at right) was the scene of two very different incidents this week.

The first one occurred Monday night around 10 p.m., when a gang member was apparently ambushed and killed just off the lake's very popular walking and hiking paths.

Area residents (I live about a mile away) knew something was up because we heard the sound of very loud helicopters hovering nearby (we sometimes hear helicopters fly overhead, but they don't hover).

The next morning, a Realtor in my office reported broken windows and bullets holes in the nearby residential tower where she lives.

Good Samaritan

Lake Calhoun incident #2, which occurred early Thursday evening, was slightly less notorious and involved . . . me.

Around 5:30 p.m. I parked my car in the lot at the northwest corner of the lake, and proceeded to take my dog for a walk on a gorgeous late Spring evening.

At the beginning of the walk, my cell phone was on my belt clip; at the end, it wasn't.

When a search of the area around my car didn't turn anything up, I immediately went home and spent the next few hours scouring my PC for any sensitive data (I synch my cell phone and PC daily) and changing passwords as needed.

The next morning, when I was literally heading to the Sprint store to obtain a replacement, I checked my work voicemail.

There was a 9:01 a.m. message from Ackerberg Property Management, a tenant in the office building on the northwest corner of the lake.

Somebody in their office had found my phone; it was waiting for me at the valet parking station on the west side of the building.

And it was!

No comments: