My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://rosskaplan.com and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Firing Offenses & Cardinal Sins

Realtors & Clients Parting Ways

You can't take it anymore.

Close to the edge for quite awhile, they finally did something that crossed the line.

So, you fire them.

Clients axing their Realtor?

Try, Realtors firing their clients.

Irreconcilable Differences

No, I don't believe it happens that much, because most clients' expectations and conduct are reasonable, they appreciate their Realtors' hard work -- and their Realtors do a good job (at least that's what all my clients think of me!).

Call it the "Garrison Keillor-esque" view of how real estate works.

But Realtors do in fact fire clients -- or decline to work for them at all.

In my almost-nine years in the business, I've "fired" clients twice; both times, it was after they did something that risked getting themselves -- and me -- sued.

Unnh-unh.

I'm allergic to lawsuits -- and clients who risk them.

Client Cardinal Sins

As a former attorney, I know that lawsuits typically produce losers all around, draining everyone's time, energy, and money (especially, money).

As a Realtor, I know that it's one thing to walk away from a deal empty-handed; it's quite another to be entangled with someone who jeopardizes your reputation.

Sometimes, it's not the money you make . . . it's the money (and time) you don't lose.

In contrast to firing a client, the one instance where I'll decline to work with a Seller at the outset is when they insist on an asking price that far exceeds what my research and experience tells me is fair market value for their home.

Yes, they can always reduce their asking price later, but by then your marketing efforts (and budget) have been squandered, and re-attracting prospective Buyers is twice as hard.

Real estate's a tough enough business already . . . .

No comments: