My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://rosskaplan.com and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

"You Talkin' to Me?"

Big Company Internet Surveillance

I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but whenever I post something on this blog about a major company, invariably one of the first hits is from . . . someone at that company (or a law firm representing the company).

As I've previously discussed -- and disclosed -- this blog has a site meter that shows each visitor's IP address and Internet Service Provider ("ISP"). So, no, I don't who you are (and don't want to), but if your company has its own ISP, I will see that in the site meter's "visit detail."

I first noticed that with a post way back when about Realogy, Coldwell Banker Burnet's parent company.

It happened again after posts discussing Angie's List, the Loop Calhoun, and Westin Hotels.

And it happened again earlier today after my post about Toll Brothers.

The conclusion?

Obviously, part of public relations in the age of Twitter, Blogs, instant messaging, etc. is to monitor what people are saying about you . . .

P.S.: Hey guys, if you really want some exposure on this blog . . . would it kill you to buy an ad??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is because many people have set up Google Alerts to include their company name (as I have) to stay informed and get news about their company.

Anonymous said...

Google Alerts, Tweet Beep and a variety of other tools let us (big brother) keep an eye on what it being said. Nothing nefarious is going on, but it is valuable to know what is being discusses so that we can learn and in some cases help if there are issues.

So about that ad . . .

Ross Kaplan said...

Maybe it should be called "Little Brother."

I assume -- and have for quite awhile -- that anything I say or do online is visible to pretty much the world . . .