My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://rosskaplan.com and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"Where's the Rest of Me?"

The Phantom Cellphone Vibration

I think Wall-E, the futuristic Pixar movie (2008) is right about the human race integrating built-in features and functions -- just wrong about which one.

If you didn't see the movie, it's set in the year 2805. Earth is trashed, and what's left of mankind orbits the planet in a high-tech colony.

Oh . . . and the people are all fat, their limbs have atrophied from disuse, and they all move around in high-tech Barcaloungers with built-in cup holders.

Aside from noting the ubiquity of cup holders -- I'm now starting to see them in grocery shopping carts! -- the obvious high tech function destined to become part of our DNA is the smart phone.

That epiphany occurred to me when I instinctively reached to check the vibration on my right hip (that's where I clip my cell phone) . . . . in the shower.

(And yes, I was alone -- my wife was in back shoveling snow, per my earlier post).

P.S.: There's feeling incomplete, and then there's really feeling incomplete: movie buffs will recall one of Ronald Reagan's most famous lines, "where's the rest of me?," when he wakes up from surgery and discovers his legs have been amputated.

No comments: